8 queen/game of life

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Sat Jun 17 13:07:33 EDT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:44:03 +0800, root at sirius.ftsm.ukm.my <root at sirius.ftsm.ukm.my> wrote:

>has anyone wrote the 8 non-attacking queen problem and conway's
>game of life in python? i try but face a few newbie problems.

While sitting around waiting for a software test to fail (I
really hate the bugs that will only happen once every day or
two), I translated my 8-queens program from Scheme to Python:

    <ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/stuff/queens.py>

[If anybody knows how to avoid having to write the bitmap data
to a temp file and the reading it back in with the Button() call,
please let me know!]

>2. 8 non-attacking queen.
>
>   use backtracking. the function call itself back. how to do recursive call
>   in python?

Pretty much the same as most other procedural languages.

roughly, the C program I study look like this;

>   queen_count = -1
>
>   main()
>   {
>     addqueen();
>   }
>
>   addqueen()
>   {
>   queen_count++
>   if queen_count != 8
>        addqueen()
>   else
>        print result
>   }
>
>   how to pass a global variable (queen_count) to a function?

Declare it global in your function:

def addqueen():
    global queen_count

    queen_count = queen_count + 1

    if queen_count != 8:
        addqueen()
    else:
        print result

queen_count = -1

addqueen()

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The PILLSBURY
                                  at               DOUGHBOY is CRYING for