Why whitespace denotation of blocks doesn't work.

Stephen Hansen stephen at cerebralmaelstrom.com
Sun Jun 18 13:01:00 EDT 2000

    I *completely* don't get this section of your argument. What about
whitespace makes Python more 'difficult' to extend?
Right-click Cut, Right-Click Paste, Right-Click->Source Code->Indent Region.
That's no more difficult then having to arrange your curley braces.

    Incidentely, I don't think i've ever had more then a handful (ever!
Like, five?) errors pop-up due to indendation. And this is being generous to
your side. It is easy to simply LOOK at a Python Source and see, usually,
where any such errors pop up. I don't generally make a habit of sitting on
my keyboard -- do you? -- so don't have the problem of characters
mysteriousely just popping into my editor.

--S

Thaddeus L. Olczyk <olczyk at interaccess.com> wrote in message
news:39520785.690843718 at nntp.interaccess.com...
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:12:03 -0500, "Bob Hays, Computer Geek"
(snip)
> >>3) Finally. Python is a language where it is almost easy to write
> >>extensible programs. To illistrate what I mean consider this example
> >>of a python program I recently wrote:
> >
> >Here's were we will agree to disagree, I think.  I think its way
> >faster and easier to extend Python stuff than C++ (and Java) due to
> >the lack of compile/link cycle and due to inheritance inside of
> >Python.  Yep, you have to be careful how you indent, but if you have a
> >good editor it will cut/copy/paste as-is without reindenting.  I see
> >more problems due to bad cut/copy/paste reuse in all programming
> >languages than I do from mis-indenting so far.
> >
> I think you misunderstood what I said. I think that Python is not now
> easily extensible do to the  problems with whitespaces. If that were
> fixed then Python would be easily extensible.
(snip)