How to create a Tk bitmap?

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Sat Jun 17 12:02:09 EDT 2000

In article <394AEFE7.6F3B718C at uniserve.com>, Bob van der Poel wrote:

>> I can't figure out how to create a Tk bitmap and then use it in
>> a button.  According to the docs I can find, something like this
>> ought to work:
>>
>>     myBitmap = BitmapImage(name='myBitmap', data='[...]')
>>
>>     Button(root,bitmap='myBitmap')
>>
>> But, Tk complains that there is no bitmap named 'myBitmap'.  If
>> I leave out the "name=" when I create the bitmap and then use
>> the name retrieved with str(myBitmap), I get the same error.

>The data is an exact copy of the file. For example:
>
>	bobpic = BitmapImage (data = """
>	#define bob_width 107
>        #define bob_height 154
>	static char bob_bits[] = {
>
>0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,
>          0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff
>< blessedly snipped >
>	0xff,0xff,0xff}; """ )

Yes, I know.  The call to BitmapImage() works fine, the error occurs when I
try to use the bitmap in a button like:

   Button(root, bitmap='queen')

This is where the error occurs -- it doesn't matter if I use the name I
specified in the call to BitmapImage or let Tk generate one and retrieve it
with str().  What I can't figure out is how to use bobpic as the bitmap for
a Button.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  An air of FRENCH
                                  at               FRIES permeates my