Threads -- play well with others? If not, what instead?

Russell E. Owen owen at astroNOJNK.washington.edu.invalid
Mon Jun 12 12:55:55 EDT 2000

David Beazley's excellent "Python Essential Reference" says in the
section on threads: "In addition, many of Python's most popular
extensions such as Tkinter may not work properly in a threaded
environment."

I assume it's true, but it was quite a bombshell. I was hoping to write
a networked GUI client, hence:
- read data from a socket and fill in a GUI display
- accept input from the user and write data to the socket
I assumed I'd use two threads, one for input, one for output. Now I have
no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

-- Russell