My wishlist for Python3K

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at rocket.knowledgetrack.com
Wed Jun 7 21:47:14 EDT 2000

My wishlist for Python3K (This is not to start a flame war):

1. Everything is an object of a class that can be subclassed.

2. Augmentation operators: +=, *=, etc.  Dot operators .*, ./, etc (for
   numerical computation to distinguish matrix and elementwise operations).

3. The := operator for deepcopy as oposed to reference assignment.  Therefore
   - the assignment (a = b) guarantees (a is b)
   - the assignment (a := b) guarantees (a == b and a is not b).

4. Combinations of the above operators.

These are not just syntactic sugars. They give big speed gains. And they are
very powerful when overloaded.

6. Have a clean mechanism to work with other programming languages other
than C.  (I have matlab/octave in mind.)

7. NOT case insensitive.  (No followup on this please.  Enough said already.)

When you see how much computation is done by the matlab/octave crowd you can
appreciate why convenience to scientific programmers (this term should be
clear) matters.  Want CP4E?  See http://www.mathworks.com/products/demos/

Huaiyu

PS. (Shameless advertising):  Want a Matlab clone in Python?  See
https://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=6490