Python module for Dbase files?

Andy Leighton andyl at azaal.dircon.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 14:41:34 EDT 2000

On 22 Jun 2000 13:45:58 GMT, Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
>William Dandreta wrote:
>
>[looking for dBase module]
>>I am running uner DOS. Any version will be fine, even older ones as long
>>as I can index it.
>
>You're kind of SOL. You need a pure Python solution (because of DOS).
>
>There's a couple of DBF readers on the Vaults DB page:
>http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/973100124
>
>but you'll have to hack your own writing.

It might be worth looking at the xbase library from startech which is
GPL.  It does reading and writing (including memos) as well as ndx and
ntx indices.  The dbf access routines from the harbour project might
also be worth borrowing.

http://www.startech.keller.tx.us/xbase.html
http://www.harbour-project.org/

Andy Leighton => andyl at azaal.dircon.co.uk
"... January is your third most common month for madness" - _Sarah Canary_