ANNOUNCE: early alpha Quixote Web development tool

Jan Decaluwe jand at easics.be
Thu Jun 8 12:57:38 EDT 2000

"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:

> The basic idea is that a Web application is written as a Python
> package, and URLs are then treated as paths walking down into the
> package.  Objects, functions, and methods are accessible through URLs
> if they're listed in an __exports__ attribute of the object.
> (Obviously this is inspired by Zope's object publishing.)
>
> Templating is done in Python Templating Language (PTL), which tries to
> stick close to Python's statements and semantics.

For some time now, I was getting frustrated with my attempts
to use Zope in "bobo-mode", so if this is the new bobo, that's
great news. For our applications, we need something that focusses
on giving a web interface to programs, instead of dynamic web
site development, to do things such as:

  http://www.easics.com/webtools/crctool

I had a quick look at the alpha distribution:

- Didn't find the doc subdirectory mentioned in the README file.
  I was looking for more info on PTL and on the details of
  publishing the python module on the web server. I'm currently
  using Zope's pcgi while quixote seems to rely on FastCGI.

- It seems the top-level package should be placed in a 'quixote'
  directory, but this is not explicitly documented. Very good
  that all the code is put into a package (unlike the Zope components).

One thing I'm using from Zope is Persistent objects - objects
that are automatically written and restored from disk in response
to requests. (However, I'm completely confused about the continuing
renames and functional changes of the Zope DBs, so I am still using
quite an old version from the good old bobo era). Is there anything
planned for this in  quixote, or will the user have to implement
this explicitly?

Thanks and regards, Jan

--
Jan Decaluwe	       Easics
Design Manager         System-on-Chip design services