Python design philosophy

Richard Wolff rwolff at noao.edu
Fri Jun 30 11:21:05 EDT 2000

thomas at xs4all.nl (Thomas Wouters) writes:

>On 30 Jun 2000 19:47:38 +1200, Paul Foley <see at below> wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:03:56 GMT, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> C predates the PDP-11 so we'll chalk it up to convergent
>>> evolution.

>>Oh no it doesn't.

>Oh yes it does ;) The first bits of C, including, for instance, the
>auto-increment operators, were designed and used on the PDP-7, not the
>PDP-11.

>> C was written for the Unix port to PDP-11.

>More like 'during' than 'for'. UNIX and C both, together, evolved on for
>quite a number of years (witness the new C & UNIX 'standards')

"C was originally written for the PDP-11 under UNIX ... "
  The C Programming Language, by D. M. Ritchie, S. C. Johnson, M. E. Lesk,
  and B. W. Kernighan, Bell System Technical Journal, Vol 57, #6, 1978, Pg 1991

(Interpretation is left to the reader.)
--
Richard Wolff, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ
Internet: rwolff at noao.edu         Phonenet:     +1 520 318 8392