Python under VMware/NT?

Thilo Ernst te at first.gmd.de
Wed Jun 7 08:47:40 EDT 2000

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> I very briefly ran Linux under NT-native VMware and of course ran
> Python inside the Linux vm.  Worked fine.  I had the general
> impression that networking was much slower for the entire OS but spent
> no time benchmarking or otherwise investigating.  I do plan to play
> with NT running inside Linux-native VMware pretty soon, but I don't
> expect it to be all that different than running in native NT.

I could almost repeat Barry's words, just with the OSes reversed. I tried
some Python stuff on a virtual NT4.0 under Linux-native VMware recently,
and noticed no severe performance degradations. My Python programs
weren't network-intensive, though.

The general network performance (i.e. with non-Python apps) is, ahem,
acceptable, with some (reproducible) exceptions in the "absolutely lousy"
range. E.g. saving a PowerPoint document to a Samba share on the Linux
"mother" machine takes AGES as soon as the presentation has more
than around 10 slides. This is getting off-topic, but ... hints anybody?
(Perhaps I should simply upgrade to VMware 2.0; still running 1.1)

Nevertheless, by and large I just love having this NT window around in a
corner  of my KDE desktop. Especially, the setup was great for Python-based
interoperability experiments I did some months ago, e.g. remote-controlling
MS-Office apps from Linux via DOPY and the win32 extensions.

Best regards, Thilo