Future of PythonWin?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jun 6 04:55:46 EDT 2000

"Tom" <tom-main at REMOVEME.home.com> wrote in message
news:w3Q_4.160138$55.3354931 at news2.rdc1.on.home.com...

> Studio 7, but what does this all mean for the future of the PythonWin?

Dunno.  Not much will change.  As usual, no one will be paying me to work
on it! :-)

> Will PythonWin (the IDE and the MFC wrapper library) continue to be
actively
> and publicly developed?

Dunno.  I like it :-)  If Active State end up developing an IDE that I
would personally prefer to use over Pythonwin, then I doubt I will spend
too much time on Pythonwin as an IDE.  I seriously doubt that will be MSVC
based to qualify.  Certainly, the extra resources AS can dedicate should
mean the Mozilla based IDE ends up qualifying, but Pythonwin exists today
and is quite slick on Windows (as opposed to the cross-platform focus of
AS) meaning I doubt it will qualify in the short term.

The good side of this is that is doesnt "compete" directly with any AS
products.  One IDE is focussed on existing MSVC (and maybe new) owners,
while the other will be a great cross-platform solution.  Pythonwin doesnt
try and be either of these!  So while it is unlikely that AS will fund
further development of Pythonwin, they also will certainly not discourage
me from continuing to tinker.

Re MFC: Microsoft dont seem too interested in MFC any more.  Ive certainly
heard nothing about it, and everything new I see has alternatives that
compete directly with it.

Unfortunately, my personal opinion is that MFC itself will die pretty
soon, kept alive only by the weight of all the old code written for it.
So with that in mind, I dont believe that MFC will undergo enough
significant enhancements that keeping up will be a problem!

Mark [and obviously not speaking for ActiveState]