How to tell if I can open a file or not

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Thu Jun 8 10:26:43 EDT 2000

On 08-Jun-00 Skip Hollowell wrote:
 >  I have a indexer that I am writing that goest through a user-specified
 >  directory and all subdirectories and indexes all the .htm* file contained
 >  therein.  This works great until I get to a file that someone has chmod-ed
 >  so that I can't read it.  Then I bomb after the open().
 >
 >  Is there a way I can check the attrbutes of the file before I open it?
 >  This
 >  is easy enough in c or perl, but have yet to find an equivalent in Python.

Well, the easiest thing you can do is to wrap your offending code inside
a try-clause, like so:

    try:
        offending_code
    except:
        deal_with_breakdown

If you really want to check the settings of the file, I guess you should
read up on module os, and especially os.stat. Also, take a look at module
stat.

Good luck!

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>