?Extreme Programming in Python?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Jun 15 09:48:12 EDT 2000

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at home.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone done any extreme programming in python? Care to share your
>> experiences?

> Not yet, but the company I just started with recently hired me to do
> Python programming (& other stuff), and we're all gearing up to do XP.

> I'd like to hear others' experiences, too, if there are any.  Otherwise,
> I'll let you know.

My main extreme programming experience has been unit testing. I don't do
that the complete XP way either; I tend to write the tests just after I write
the code, instead of just before. PyUnit is a nice unit testing framework.

Unit testing is not too bothersome in Python, and you can feel much more secure
about your code; you know better that it's doing what you want, and when
you change something, it's easy to check everything still works. That's
quite comfortable and helpful.

No experience with pair programming or the other XP ideas yet, though.

Regards,

Martijn