Client with select.select()

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jun 13 16:01:59 EDT 2000

"A[r]TA" <arta at NOSPAMx-stream.nl> writes:

> But if you want to write a telnet-client. The server requests for data,
> isn't he?
> Then you can check with the write-set and send some data.
> Or am I missing something?

A telnet server never explicitly "requests" data from a telnet client
- it's always ready to receive data.  I suppose the initial options
negotiation could be considered a little more of a request since a
client does generate a response to the information being presented by
the server, but there are no such requests during normal data flow.
Once a telnet client has connected to a server, it is free to send
data at any point in time.

Now, it is possible that if a server is unresponsive, or slow, or if
there is network congestion, that the client may build up a queue of
stuff still waiting to be sent by the network layer on the client
machine.  So it can still be useful to use select() to decide if the
underlying network layer is ready to receive more data.

--
-- David