Pythonwin is terrible!

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 13:23:29 EDT 2000

thomas at cintra.no (Thomas Weholt) writes:

> Yo,
>
> PythonWin has some great stuff, like "partial" code-completion. I too
> have som problems with code gone haywire, sometimes Pythonwin gets
> stuck, but most of the time it`s a good alternative to IDLE.
>
> I use Emacs under Linux and it works just fine. Just wish the
> code-completion-thingy in Pythonwin could somehow be implemented in
> Emacs. That`s probably never gonna happen, but an editor with these
> capabilities would help the python grow bigger, and Windows-converts
> like myself get over the habits gotten from programming in
> Delphi/JBuilder. Code-completion, Code-Insight, parameter-lookups ...
> It would be nice wouldn`t it??!
>
> Ah well ...

Have you ever used ilisp?  It's an emacs interface to a common lisp
system, and it's way cool.  It does symbol completion and stuff by
talking to the lisp process and I'd really like to nick some of it's
ideas for Python, but I don't know nearly enough about emacs lisp -
particularly comint - to do it yet.  A trivial example: wouldn't it be
nice if when you hit C-a the point got moved to the start of the
command line, rather than the leftmost column of the display?

Now my exams have finished (yay!) I may get around to it.

Cheers,
M.

--
  But since I'm not trying to impress  anybody in The Software Big
  Top, I'd rather walk the wire using a big pole, a safety harness,