Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

David Porter jcm at bigskytel.com
Sat Jun 10 06:25:48 EDT 2000

* Phil Fraering <pgf at globalreach.net>:
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
>
> > I am a very case-sensitive person myself: it bothers me when people
> > don't start their sentences with capital letters or when they refer to
> > themselves as "i" in lowercase -- or when people refer to Python as
> > "python" or "PYTHON".  (Come to think of it, it bothered me when you
> > wrote "german" instead of "German" :-).
>
> Personally, I simply think that lowercase is more readable than uppercase,
> but I don't really know the reason why.

maybe because there are more spacial cues to recognize in lower case than in
UPPER CASE, which looks MONOTONOUS and RUDE. lower case: each letter is well
defined and arranged. UPPER CASE: THE LETTERS ARE BLOCKY AND CRUDELY
DEFINED. PLUS THEY ARE BUNCHED TOGETHER.

  david.

--
Tac tic. -- e.e.cummings in a blender