RFC822 compliance in modern mail clients?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 10 07:43:46 EDT 2000

Hi,

> Do any clients pay attention to headers  such as Resent-etc? Anytime
> anyone's ever forwarded me something, its always seemed to come from
> them :)

Sure they do.  I've used MH, and now nmh, for years and if I can either
forward mail messages onto others with the `forw' command that lets me
insert my own message at the top or distribute on a message with the
`dist' command which just takes a list of email addresses for the
resent-to, resent-cc, resent-from headers;  I'm not allowed to add any
text.

Broken email clients, including Microsoft's, ignore the resent-*
headers so it looks to the recipient as if the original sender sent it
to them.  They then get confused because the email is addressed to me,
not them, so they send me a copy :-)

So, don't be a Microsoft;  follow the RFC.

Ralph.