Following a file, or cloning tail

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jun 30 19:30:53 EDT 2000

gmcm at hypernet.com (Gordon McMillan) writes:

> Well, os.popen works fine between console processes on the NT family of
> Windows. However, Windows has problems with 16 bit DOS apps and Win95 has
> an MS acknowledged problem with any of this stuff. The win32 extensions fix
> most of these problems, (I think Bill Tutt even added a workaround for the
> Win95 bug), and I believe that 1.6 will use the win32 versions if they are
> installed (at least, this was discussed seriously at some point).

If they do, then I hope that the extensions get augmented to return
the result code of the child process on close(), since that's really
the only thing holding me up from using them (for now I just use NT
and ensure I have a console allocated to my process).

I guess I'm just glad that my requirements to use Windows stops with
NT, since I also think Python might be a non-starter for a lot of my
administration apps if popen() didn't work reliably.  Of course, MS is
far more to blame for this than Python :-)

--
-- David