Python to call commands, e.g. "find , perl scripts , nmap , and others" is this possible?

Ken Seehof 12klat at sightreader.com
Thu Jun 1 20:25:31 EDT 2000

On NT I get:

>>> mylist = os.popen('dir').readlines()
Traceback (innermost last):
OSError: (0, 'Error')

(same thing with any command)

popen (command[, mode[, bufsize]])
    Open a pipe to or from command. The return value is an open
    file object connected to the pipe, which can be read or written
    depending on whether mode is 'r' (default) or 'w'. The bufsize
    argument has the same meaning as the corresponding argument
    to the built-in open() function. The exit status of the command
    (encoded in the format specified for wait()) is available as the
    return value of the close() method of the file object, except that
    when the exit status is zero (termination without errors), None is
    returned. Availability: Unix, Windows.

- Ken Seehof