Two newbie questions

richard_chamberlain richard_chamberlain at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 13 12:35:26 EDT 2000

or,

import string
st=string.join(l,'')

will do it.

if you do your random thing interactively and don't assign to i you'll
notice you get an exception so you'll have to play around based on that.

I'm sure I'll be corrected but I guess the range your trying to use
(-maxint-1 to maxint) is not an int it's a long so it doesn't work.

random.randint(0,i-1)

does work though.

Richard

Arkaitz <ma9aba at bath.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:20000613165659.A7828 at basajaun...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm learning Python, as it seems everybody around here :-), and I found
two
> problems that I can't find the solution to:
> 1. As the strings are inmutable, if I want to modify the order of the
characters
> in the string(e.g. sort them), what I do is:
>
> st = "asdfasfasdf"
> l = []
> for c in st:
>     l.append(c)
>
> Then I process the list, and the problem is that I have no idea of how I
can get
> the string back, any help?
> 2. The second question is about random numbers, how can I get a random int
between the minimum and maximum integers of the machine?