search for a string?

Stephen Hansen stephen at cerebralmaelstrom.com
Thu Jun 1 18:10:51 EDT 2000

    Depends on how you have the document opened/loaded...

    If its all in one string you could just use:
string.find(Document,Substring)
    [Document.find(Substring) in py1.6]

    If its in a list, a la readlines? Hm.
string.find(string.join(Document),Substring)
    ["".join(Document).find(Substring) in py1.6]

    Etcetc..you could cycle through a file or do whatever you wanted to..

    As for inserting the contents of another file, well, something like:

    OldString = File.read() + OldString

    I perfer, though: OldString = "%s %s" % (File.read(),OldString)

--S
news:8h6211$ark$1 at news-int.gatech.edu...