Ruby -- A better OO Perl than Perl? Python 3000 features available now?

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Fri Jun 9 13:05:45 EDT 2000

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> bparsia at email.unc.edu (Bijan Parsia) writes:
>
> |Are Ruby's *classes*, themselves, instances of classes (aka
> |metaclasses)? Like, oh, let's see, *Smalltalk*!
>
> I know it's off-topic, so in sort answer:
>
>   yes
>                                                         matz.

:-)

I've looked at Ruby a couple of times, and when it comes to language
features I like it a lot! (e.g. the iterator concept looks miles easier
to work with than the Python idiom for non-sequential collections -- and
the alternative uses like mutex.lock <block> virtually makes me salivate
<wink>)

The reason I haven't done any programming in it yet, however, is that
the English language documentation is not yet good enough.  I.e. I get a
feeling that it is not complete (vs. the Japanese docs), and I'm afraid
that if I got stuck, gramatical issues would prevent me from solving my
own problems...  I'll contine to come back to it though.

-- bjorn