Darwin (Not Python, yet...) [OT]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Wed Jun 28 11:56:46 EDT 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

> Find the .zip file (if Stuffit didn't destroy it) and use the 'unzip'
> command in Darwin to unpack it.
>
> >   This zip file doesn't seem to be in gunzip format so I couldn't
> >   unzip it from Darwin to get the right line endings.
>
> Hmm.  unzip worked in DP4.

I'm sure DP4 has all sorts of extra goodies -- Darwin isn't up to
the level of a good Linux distribution yet. There is the "Missing
Link" project at <http://www.darwinlinux.com/>, which plans to get
a CD distribution of Darwin + XFree86 + lots of linux packages.

Softrak on stepwise.com has been down for the last couple of days,
so I haven't been able to search for a zip there. I may have to
try taking it to another machine to unzip and tar up.
( The main complication in getting anything done is the fact that
  I can only have Darwin up for a small part of the day -- If I
  had DP4 and could run some Mac apps, I could find more time to
  play with it! )

> Does Darwin follow the MacOS X directory structure convention?  (ie,
> /Local/Users/Bob/
> /System/Library/Frameworks/...
> )?

Yes. There even seem to be some dangling symbolic links and empty
directories from missing MacOS X applications and libraries!

BTW: Did you post any of your problems to either of the Darwin
mailing lists ( -users or -developers ) ? I've just signed up
and I haven't had time to look thru the archives yet. I would
think this must not be a python specific problem.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

"There's a new programming language called C+++. It's 50% better than C++,
         but every time you compile, your modem hangs up."