Sequence-length - Missing the obvious ?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Jun 2 16:42:42 EDT 2000

In article <3938090C.9FB5D057 at stud.ntnu.no>,
Peter Schneider-Kamp  <peter at schneider-kamp.de> wrote:
>mlauer at trollinger-fe.rz.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>>
>> But why ? How does the for loop knows
>> how much elements the sequence contains ?
>> I did not program the __len__ function,
>> so... how ?
>
>As far as I understand the for loop goes on until an IndexError is
>raised. Then the error is cleared and the for loop ends.

Let's be technically precise here: an exception is raised and caught by
the "for" handler; the for loop is then broken (precisely as if the
break statement was executed).  Like any other caught exception, the
exception is thrown away (not "error is cleared").
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Have you coined a word today?  --Aahz