Are list mutations thread-safe?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Jun 16 21:38:03 EDT 2000

In article <etd8zw5qfdv.fsf at w20-575-109.mit.edu>,
Alex  <cut_me_out at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi.  Can two threads get in each others' way if they simultaneously try
>to mutate a list?  How could I make a reliable test to answer a question
>like this?

It depends how they mutate it.  I believe that single builtin functions
(e.g. [].append()) are thread-safe.  OTOH, [].sort() may not be
thread-safe, particularly if you've got user-defined classes on the list
with __cmp__() defined.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste." --Steve Jobs
(From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)