PATCH: Augmented assignment

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Thu Jun 15 10:20:40 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 02:00:17PM +0000, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:
> [discussion on naming]

> Since there's a discussion about naming anyway, I'd like to ask what
> the 'ad' stands for in __add_ad__? This may be another datapoint
> in the discussion. :)

To quote Guido (whitespaceeatingnanovirussed some):
"""
I know I shouldn't be posting in this thread, and I won't be there to read
the responses, but here's what I thought would be cool.

x+=y is syntactic sugar for x=x.__add_ab__(y); the "ab" means "and becomes"
(an old Algol-68 naming convention; we could pick something better later but
this will do for the explanation).
"""

See http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-June/059556.html

Note that I took Guido's comment " ... what I thought would be cool." as a
confirmation that he actually *wants* augmented assignment ;) If he doesn't,
well, it was a great learning experience.

While I'm on the subject, I am still working on the patch. The version
currently on my laptop adds support for inplace-operators to extension (and
builtin) types, fixes a couple of refcounting bugs, sanitizes the new
2-argument opcodes, un-breaks the optimizer and adds support for the new
opcodes in the disassembler. I'm still not sure wether Guido will accept the
patch, but I'm getting ready to send the patch (in a bunch of small diffs,
actually) to the patches list and forget about it ;-)

I'll put up an updated version of the patch later today, I think, at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~thomas/python/

(The current page is a bit old, as I'm no longer stuck trying to find out
how to keep binary compatibility. I love Python !)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>