ActiveX scripting and Python

Harry Reed harry at infoscientific.com
Tue Jun 27 11:14:38 EDT 2000

Hi, All!
    I am attempting to use the M$ ActiveX scripting with Python (under VB6)
to add scripting to an application. I've succeded in executing small Python
scripts via the ActiveX Scripting stuff included in the Python-1.5.2 +
win32all-132 distributions and things seem to, generally, work OK (w/ the
ActiveX scripting demo working under ie5)
.
    The problem I am having is that 1) how does one cause a Python script to
return a value under the ActiveX Scripting engine? When I try something like

    a = 1
    b = 2
    return a + b

I get a nasty message/error box from VB saying:

    Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)'
    Unexpected Python Error: pywintypes.com_error: (-2147467263, 'Not
implemented', None, None)'

and 2) when I try to define a simple function abc as shown:

def abc():
    return 1

I get the same nasty message.

Any ideas?