Position Announcement

Michaell Taylor Michaell.Taylor at reis.com
Thu Jun 8 10:27:27 EDT 2000

I hope that I don't step on too many toes by using this list to announce a
job opening.  I doing so, I appeal to your interest in python advocacy.

I have  been toying with Python and reading this list over the past few
weeks.  The experience has convinced me that a good deal of our corporate
production code should be rewritten in Python (currently in a specialized
statistical scripting language that none of you has heard of). If you are
interested, or know somebody who may be interested, please take a look at
the job description and drop me a note.

I am much less interested in formal creditials as I am in finding somebody
with a hacker mentality.

**********************

Job Announcement

Junior Programmer

Reis.com is a real estate investment consultancy located in Manhattan.  We
collect and statistically/numerically analysis proprietary data on real
estate markets around the U.S.  We are in the process of reorganizing and
updating many of our statistical and numerical analysis programs and
processes.  As part of our reorganization, we are converting key pieces of
analysis code to more efficient, and platform independent, environments.

We are flexible in term of whether this position if full or part time.
Could be a good place for a student.

Responsibilities

•	Converting existing scripted analysis code to C++ and/or Python.
•	Maintaining/extending simple SQL code.
•	Assisting in the administration and extension of Linux systems.
•	Suggesting technical solutions to increase productivity in the Economics
Research Group.
•	General project development to enhance our ability to deliver econometric
analysis results quickly, accurately, and simply to clients.
•	This position will not be involved in web development.

Qualifications

•	Experience in C++.  Experience in scripting languages such as Perl and
Python preferred.  Some familiarity and/or willingness to learn VBS and SQL
would also be beneficial.
•	Flexibility to learn new scripting, programming, or shell languages.
•	Innovative character with ability to suggest technical solutions to new
problems, or to automate existing processes.
•	Self-motivated, hacker mentality.
•	Interest in mathematical and statistical analysis and programming.
•	Experience in using (preferably administrating) Linux systems.

Questions and letters of application can be forwarded to Michaell Taylor at
Michaell.Taylor at reis.com .

Michaell Taylor
Senior Economist, Economics Research Group, Reis.com, New York City, USA
Associate Professor, Dept. of Political Science, NTNU, Trondheim, NORWAY
Adjunct Professor, University of Durban, South Africa