Python vs. Matlab

Matt Feinstein mfein at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Wed Jun 28 11:11:15 EDT 2000

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:28:53 GMT, hzhu at mars.localdomain (Huaiyu Zhu)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>There are several options you might consider:

<Octave, NumPy info deleted...>

>So, there also came the MatPy package which I am developing, which provides
>wrappers around the packages Numpy, Gnuplot, and SpecialFunc.  It is an open
>source project hosted on SourceForge.  It is currently classified as in
>alpha stage, but it is usable in the features that I used or tested.  I no
>longer need to use NumPy directly now and I'd claim the syntax for linear
>algebra is much easier than NumPy.  However, for additional features you
>need to either add them yourself (not difficult I'd say), or write to me and
>wait for my free time. :-) Additional developers are very welcome.

This is really interesting-- though given the high cost of MATLAB and
the many deficiencies of the MATLAB language, maybe not too
surprising. I can't prove it, but I suspect that the MATLAB language
development group is currently suffering from a bad case of
Python-envy and would take a successful development of MATLAB-like
abilities in Python -very- seriously.

--
Matt Feinstein
mfein at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu