Quick Python v.s. Learning Python

chris patti cpatti at black-racer.atg.com
Tue Jan 25 12:19:25 EST 2000

Art Pollard <Pollarda at Lextek.com> writes:

> I just purchased Programming Python.  As I am
> totally new to Python, I learned from this book
> that I want to learn more.  Unfortunely, I don't
> think this is the best book for a Python newbie.
> (Though from what I've seen, it makes a good
> language reference.)
>
> So right now, I am looking for another learning
> book.  The two which popout are:
>
> Quick Python (In my local bookstore)
> Learning Python (Not in stock but obtainable)
>
> Does anyone have any preferences / recommendations???
>
> I have extensive C/C++ experience but would like a good
> book to help me break through the wall and reach that
> Ahhh Haaaa experience when the language becomes clear.
> (I still remember the Ahhhh Haaa from many years ago
> when I figured out C's pointers... What a day. :-)
>
> -Art

Well, a bunch of folks here have already chimed in for the Quick Python
Book.

For me and the folks I work with, we found _Learning Python_ to be
vastly superior.

The Quick Python book is rife with typographical errors, some serious
enough to keep even the basic examples from being used.

_Learning Python_ was written by training professionals and it shows -
the examples are all well laid out and the information is organized in
a way that makes it very easy to assimilate.

Just my $.02

-Chris