DB API

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 3 01:41:03 EST 2000

Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:

> Mind expanding on this?  Are you asserting it's also a Bad Idea to slurp
> multi-megabyte BLObs to a client?

Well, what databases are good at, is picking one thing out of many.
If you use a database as a flat file, and then do the picking of one
out of many you've essentially written a distributed database. I've
never used blobs myself - I know they can be useful, even necessary,
but until now I've just stored an url in the database, and put the blobs
behind a http server. That way, the database doesn't have to work so
hard, and it becomes easy to distribute the load over two machines.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt