Sucking e-mail from Exchange Server vis HTTP?

Grant Edwards grant at nowhere.
Mon Jan 17 13:42:39 EST 2000

In article <38835712.E787B04B at roguewave.com>, bjorn wrote:

>> I just found the http server page on Exchange server that
>> allows access to e-mails via a web browser.  What I'd really
>> like is to write a Python program that just sucks the mail out
>> of the inbox and delivers it locally.

My other option would be to write a MAPI client that runs under
Win32 and then gives the mail to the SMTP server on my Linux
machine.  There's a MAPI module for Python, isn't there?
Perhaps that would be easier -- but I've never programmed under
Win32 before...

>It might be easier to use the exchange server as either an IMAP
>or POP server instead (both should be on by default).

The admin shut off both POP and IMAP to try prevent people from
using mail clients other than Outlook.  He's convinced
management that people who don't use Outlook were increasing
his workload.

IMAP used to be enabled to allow people to check e-mail from
home using Outlook Express, but once he figured out how to
enable the web interface, he told people to use that from home
and then he shut off IMAP (I was using fetchmail and mutt
at the time).

He shut off my dial-in access a month or two ago (I don't know
why, presumably because I like Unix better than his beloved
MS-Windows). The guy's a real prize. If he ever figures out how
to prevent Unix users from mounting SMB shared filesystems, I'm
sure he'll do that too...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hello. I know
                                  at               the divorce rate among