strange CGI problem

mrecks at my-deja.com mrecks at my-deja.com
Sat Jan 29 17:07:12 EST 2000

We found that this was caused by our giving our cgi programs name with
unrecognised or non-standard extension, in our case '.cgi' We found two
ways to overcome this problem.

1) Give your cgi program a recognised extension i.e. instead
of 'program_name.cgi' use 'program_name.html' Don't forget to also
change the cgi program name in the page that calls it.

2) Alternatively use the Netscape 'applications' settings to handle
files with '.cgi' extensions by Netscape internally.

Hope this helps

In article <85hb86$jjq$1 at web1.cup.hp.com>,
  "Arad Rostampour" <arad at fc.hp.com> wrote:
> Do you have a:
>
> print "Content-type: text/html\n"
>
> as your first output?
>
> Enjoy,
> Arad
> --
> Arad Rostampour- arad at fc.hp.com
> NT Platform and I/O Team
> Software and System Development Lab
> Hewlett-Packard
>
> Skip Montanaro wrote in message
> <14459.47851.670815.455938 at beluga.mojam.com>...
> >
> >    >> I'm creating a little web-site; for some reason when I view
the page
> >    >> in Internet Explorer, it's fine, but Netscape shows me the
raw html
> >    >> as if it's a text file.  What would cause this?
> >
> >Sounds like IE is looking at the contents and saying, "hmmm... looks
like
> >HTML", and displaying it.  Make sure your CGI script is spitting out
an
> >appropriate Content-type header.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.