( 2.31.New operators: 'eq', 'ne', 'last', '..' ) ?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Jan 20 09:40:23 EST 2000

Grant Edwards wrote:

> As long as we're at, I think we should try to make Python code
> not only more readable but also more polite. Rather than yet
> another imperitive language, the world needs more polite
> request languages!
>
> I'm proposing the mandatory use of the keywords 'please',
> 'excuse_me', 'I'm_sorry' and 'thank_you'.

I have only one quibble. "Excuse me" is, in fact, imperative.
This is something that English hides, but becomes obvious in
German.

Oh, and instead of "except please", it would be more polite to
say "thank you very much but please". And don't forget to
throw an exception unless sys.argv[1:5] == ['how', 'are', 'you',
'today?'].

- Gordon