Python Rocks!

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Tue Jan 18 04:51:35 EST 2000

[tye4 going through the "indentation sucks" and "I miss end tags"
 stuff that we've heard before]

I've said this before: This is one of the things that got me hooked on
Python. I was already used to indent the Python way before I knew
about Python, and I used to forget all these start and end tags (like {}
or whatever) in the languages I used then, probably because they were
forced on me by the languages, and because they didn't help me read the
code. Today, with Python, I tend to forget the ":" in ifs, fors, whiles,
and so forth, for the same reason. However, I do not write to this list
and ask why the ¤"#@ there is a ":" that does not make sense to me. I'm
sure that there's a good reason, and if there were no good reason for it
to be there from the beginning, there still is one now: Backwards
compatibility.

I agree with the others who answered your posting:

Try it, you'll like it.

And if you do not like it after you've tried it for a while, there is
probably some other language that makes you feel better. Every language
has its own flavour, and the indentation idea is a fundamental part of
the Python flavour.

I'm-glad-not-all-people-are-the-same'ly y'rs

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343