concurrency in Python

Robert Kern kern at caltech.edu
Sat Jan 29 18:11:41 EST 2000

In article <000001bf6a98$9142a360$78a0143f at tim>,
	"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:
> [posted & mailed; added Python's Thread-SIG]
>
> [Greg Wilson]
>> Hi.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's ever built a
>> concurrency toolkit for Python that used a model other than
>> threads + locks --- futures, tuple spaces, active expressions,
>> concurrent aggregates, actors, or anything else.

[snip]

> Of course, Java's recent offshoot of Linda's tuple spaces should be
> available thru JPython.

FWIW (since I really don't know squat about what you guys are talking
about), PyBrenda (http://www.snurgle.org/~pybrenda/) might also be of
use.  From the README:

"""\
+ What is PyBrenda?

PyBrenda is a system for easily doing parallel computation using the
Python programming language.  It is somewhat similar to the C-Linda
language; it uses the notion of "tuple space" to simplify the
interactions among processes.
"""

> Let us know if you turn up anything else!  Most thread activity in the
> Python world has been on the commercial side, where threads+locks is "it"
> for the usual lowest common denominator reasons.
>
> mix-'em-in-with-floating-point-and-it's-an-unbeatable-
>     enabler-of-late-night-debugging<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Robert Kern
kern at caltech.edu