Compiling on Alpha-Win2K/WinNT (Python 1.5.2)

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Jan 5 22:14:33 EST 2000

<tmick at mail.com> wrote in message news:850p0u$q6a$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> I am trying to compile Python 1.5.2 (as extracted from py152.tgz on
> www.python.org) for Win2000 on an Alpha. Has anyone done this? I
> presume that it should be similar to compiling for Alpha/WinNT.

Not for some time AFAIK.

> My first problem is that all of the build icons/menu-entries in
> DevStudio are grayed out (i.e. I can't build the project). Does
anyone
> know what this indicates?

Almost certainly that the correct "platform" does not exist in the
project.  You will need to add a new configuration for your platform.
This also happens with Windows CE.

> No configuration specified. Defaulting to python15 - Win32 Debug.
>
> cl.exe /nologo /MDd /W3 /Gm /GX /Zi /Od /I "..\Include" /I "..\PC"
/D "_
> DEBUG" /D "USE_DL_EXPORT" /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /Fp".\temp-
> debug\python15.pch
> " /YX /Fo".\temp-debug\\" /Fd".\temp-
> debug\\" /FD /c ..\Modules\fpectlmodule.c
> fpectlmodule.c
> ..\Modules\fpectlmodule.c(167) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
include
> file: 'machine/fpu.h': Permission denied
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl.exe' : return code '0x2'

Permission denied is a little strange.  I have no idea what that
module even does, you you could try removing it from the project - you
will also need to remove a reference in PC\config.h

> I do not know of a file called "fpu.h" and cannot find one on my
system.

Strange - not one on my intel based system either.

Sorry I cant be more help - we need to convince from Alpha vendors
that some people in the Python community need one or 2 to ensure
support for their machines :-)

Mark.