Python and ASP

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Thu Jan 6 06:44:48 EST 2000

Mark Hammond writes:

> Microsoft have defined an API called "Active Scripting", that allows
> applications to host scripting languages, without actually knowing the
> languages they are hosting. Microsoft provide a number of Active
> Scripting applications - ASP, IE4 and 5, WSH and one or 2 others. They

Further, they provide the "Microsoft Script Control", which makes
it trivially easy for ANY application to host any Active Scripting
compliant language (I have a reasonably small example _in C_
using the Script Control as a part of my Win32 programming
tutorial at http://aleax.supereva.it/ -- in Italian only, sorry --
I wouldn't normally use C to write *any* COM application, of
course, but I do in the tutorial for didactical reasons, and it's
hard to find any smaller, useful application of COM than hosting
said control...!-).

> Python supports active scripting as soon as you install
> win32all-???.exe. Then, any Active Scripting application
> also supports Python.

...making Win32All+ScriptControl arguably the easiest way
of all to add Python scripting to your Win32 applications,
with the side benefit (?-) of easily allowing heathens to
use Perl, VB, or whatever, in lieu of Python!-)  You do have
to provide an Automation compliant object model, to let the
scripts reach back and do something to your app, but that's
reasonably easy with most development environments.

Alex