[Types-sig] Suggestions for python 2

lobozc at my-deja.com lobozc at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 17 21:07:23 EST 2000

In article <200001170221.VAA10441 at eric.cnri.reston.va.us>,
  Guido van Rossum <guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US> wrote:
> > I intend to push this proposal during IPC8.  I would greatly
appreciate
> > constructive comments in advance, if only to temper my
enthusiasm ;^}

> Eddy, it's too late in Python's life for radical proposals.  My head
> hasn't exploded yet, but it sure hurts whenever I try to read your
> proposal carefully.  I'm not a functional programmer, and Python is
> not a functional programming language; and as far as I'm concerned it
> never will be one.
>
> Maybe you'll make the case better in person -- I'll be there to
listen!
==========
Looking at the problem from the outside - not heavy python/fp user -
general comment.

Python is not an fp language. But it shouldn't stop Python from
borrowing some mechanisms from fp (and other paradigms)- especially as
they obviously reduce the coding and make for safer programming.
Examples here are Map function and things like list comprehensions.
Naturally, they should be implemented withoug breaking Python.

Limiting Python to just oo, without borrowing tried and effective
computational mechanisms from other programming paradigms and languages
may stunt its growth in the longer term.

> <suite> won't fly; you seem to want <generator> to be any expression,
> and an expression followed by a name is too fragile a construct to be
> comfortably parseable (even if it might be unambiguous).)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.