Looking for the FAQ

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 09:44:00 EST 2000

Luc Lefebvre:
 |sprawlsr at worldnet.att.net wrote:
 |>
 |>         I'm new to this group. I run Linux and it has Python 1.5. I'm
 |> an ANSI C programmer, learning C++ at my University, and I'm
 |> interested in checking python out. Is there a good book that takes a
 |> person from beginning to at least intermediate level? This is probably
 |> something covered in the FAQ, so if you just point me to the FAQ, I'll
 |> take it from there.
 |>
 |> Robert
 |
 |There is the book "Learning Python" from O'Reilley which got a good review
 |in Linux Journal.

Before you go spending money on books (life as a college student can be
tough), there are plenty of tutorials on-line to give you a flavor.  Here
are just a few.  The first one will bring you up to intermediate level on
the language in no time:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html     (The official one)
    http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/
    http://www.troubleshooters.com/codecorn/python/pptut.htm

Then bookmark this link:

    http://www.python.org/doc/

And take a quick scan of the TOC of the Library Reference on this page,
particularly section 2, to see what's out there just waiting to be used in
a default Python install.  There are other modules folks offer separately,
but this set will give you a good start.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com