First try at Tkinter stuff

Timothy Grant tjg at avalongroup.net
Fri Jan 7 01:03:09 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm just starting to play with TK and am completely confused with
packing and gridding, etc.

I've got a window that displays four frames. It does it quite nicely and
they look very nice. However, when I add a label or a button, the frame
to which I add the label or button shrinks to the size of the button.
This is completely undesirable behaviour. I have tried using both .pack
and .grid, but I guess I don't understand how they are supposed to work.

Attached is my little test class.
class Brokerage:
    def __init__(self, master):
        MainFrame = Frame(master, height=600, width=800)
        MainFrame.pack()

        SupplierFrame = Frame(MainFrame, height=575, width=300,
                                relief=GROOVE, borderwidth=1)
        SupplierFrame.grid(row=0, column=0, rowspan=2)

        DataFrame = Frame(MainFrame, height=250, width=200,
                                relief=GROOVE, borderwidth=1)
        DataFrame.grid(row=0, column=1)

        ShippingFrame = Frame(MainFrame, height=250, width=200,
                                relief=GROOVE, borderwidth=1)
        ShippingFrame.grid(row=1, column=1)

        VendorFrame = Frame(MainFrame, height=575, width=300,
                                 relief=GROOVE, borderwidth=1)
        VendorFrame.grid(row=0, column=2, rowspan=2)

	# Code up to here works as expected, code below does not.

        Label(SupplierFrame, text="Vendor ID:").pack(side=TOP)

        self.hi_there = Button(VendorFrame, text="Hello",
command=self.say_hi)
        self.hi_there.pack(fill=BOTH, expand=1)

    def say_hi(self):
        print "hi there, everyone!"

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Chief Technology Officer              tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630