Which Python book?

Patrick Tufts zippy at cs.brandeis.edu
Thu Jan 20 23:33:49 EST 2000

In article <3dzouke2v7.fsf at amarok.cnri.reston.va.us>, Andrew M.
Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

> Bala <engbpa at liquidinformation.com> writes:
> >         Python Essential Reference (OTHER NEW RIDERS)
> >         by David M. Beazley, Guido Van Rossum
> > or
> >         Learning Python (Help for Programmers)
> >         by Mark Lutz, David Ascher, Frank Willison (Editor)
>
> The Essential Reference is just what its title says: a reference
> guide.  You'd have to be *really* motivated to learn Python from it.

The Essential Reference is an excellent reference.  Get it anyway.  But
you won't learn the language from it -- it's too terse for that.

Oh, and don't bother with "Programming Python" (also by Mark Lutz).
It's not a good for learning or reference.  I've read reviews that say
"Learning Python" is much better.

--Pat