Which Python book?

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 23 19:58:28 EST 2000

On 23 Jan 2000 19:32:38 -0000,
 Ralph Corderoy, in the persona of <ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>> > _Python Essential Reference_ is just what it says; a reference.
>> > If, like me, you are an experienced (which says nothing about the
>> > quality of my code ;^)) coder, you can use it to learn Python.
>>
>> Seconded.  If you already know a few languages, and already now OOP,
>> then PER is fine to learn from.
>
>OK, I learnt C from the excellent K&R (Old Testament), all the Unix
>little languages, and many more besides.  I learnt Perl 4 years ago
>purely from the man pages, and Perl 5 at the same time from
>eavesdropping on the perl5-porters mailing list.  I like well written,
>terse, books.  Given all of that it sounds to me as if I should remove
>_Programming Python_ from my shopping basket and add _Python Essential
>Reference_.  Your views are sought.
>

>Ralph.

I am new to python, I picked up learning python, and between that
and the tut and online docs, am enjoying it immensly. But I also
picked up PER, and found it a nice reference, I wouldn't want to
have to learn from just that book, but for an essential
reference, I think it is well named (can't comment on Programming
python tho', haven't bought it.)

--
Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it