tabs do WHAT?

Dirk-Ulrich Heise hei at adtranzsig.de
Tue Jan 25 07:43:01 EST 2000

Thomas Hamelryck schrieb in Nachricht <86joac$l2s$1 at mach.vub.ac.be>...
>Good analogy, actually. Sex is great, but should never be forced
>on you.

You misunderstood the "whitespace sucks" topic.

>BTW, people here seem to have adopted the idea that if you don't like
>a particular feature of a language, you should abandon it (e.g., "You
>don't like indentation? Use Perl!"). But many languages have evolved
>exactly this way: users criticize, complain, praize and whine, thereby
>influencing the shape of the languge in question. You can find a very
>nice description of this process with respect to C++ in "The Evolution
>of C++ : Language Design in the Marketplace of Ideas", by Jim Waldo
>(Editor), James Waldo (Editor).

Not all languages evolve like C++. Whether this is good or bad,
is in the eye of the beholder. Again, have a try to convince the C++
people to use "begin" and "end". If C++ is so evolvable, it should be
easy going, shouldn't it? Much easier than arguing against those
boneheaded Python people. C++ needs fresh ideas all the time.
(At least, that's what it looks like nowadays to me)
--
Dipl.Inform. Dirk-Ulrich Heise
hei at adtranzsig.de
dheise at debitel.net