Python Rocks!

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 22 00:25:27 EST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:38:40 -0800, "tye4" <tye4 at yahoo.com> declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

> Yes, I think I'll let you guys wallow in your ignorance.

	I have to wonder, ignorance of what? Programming language
development?

	I've programmed in three flavors of Fortran (IV, 77, 90), a 70's
era COBOL, at least 5 variants of BASIC, (A)REXX, C (pre- and post-
ANSI), an early C++, Pascal, toy programs in APL and LISP, and a few
classes on Ada (but no real programs). Python is just another language
in which certain decisions were made in the syntax... One of which just
happens to produce relatively legible programs vs the run-on sentences
of the COBOL, the spaghetti of early BASIC, the inconsistent usage of
";" in Pascal, the cryptic condensing of APL (and PERL, IMHO), the
inconsistent bracketing in Pascal and C (single statement if/else
branches do not need brackets), and the confusion from white-space
indifference of Fortran.