CPAN for Python?

Stephen Coursen coursesm at sbdhcp-4022.statenisland-ny.est.tcg.com
Tue Jan 4 12:40:53 EST 2000

On 4 Jan 2000 11:30:50 -0600, Tres Seaver <tseaver at aftershock.neosoft.com>
wrote:
>In article <84t52c$1gg$1 at nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,
>Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:
>>In article <38720F70.A5DC6F33 at ttm.com>,
>>Scott Anderson  <sanderson at ttm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Is there an equivalent of Perl's CPAN for Python?
>>
>>Well, there's Parnassus (http://www.vex.net/parnassus/), but there's not
>>yet an overarching authority.
>
>www.python.org blesses it, which is probably about as close as we'll see.
>I may misrecall (blessedly little Perl experience) but doesn't CPAN allow
>for browsing from the interpreter prompt, and downloading?  That would be
>a cool extension of a wonderful resource.
>
>>OTOH, Python's "built-in" libraries are
>>more extensive than Perl's; see the Library Reference for details.
>
>parnassus.py,-anyone?'ly

That would be a useful module to have, but for it to work, there would have
to be a standard installation mechanism.  Perl uses:
     perl Makefile.pl
     make
     make install

If python had a standard way of installing modules, writing a parnassus.py
script would be easy.  Unfortunately, not every module installs the same way
(although there seems to be only a few different methodologies).

Steve