Realtime scheduling??

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 04:14:12 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm working on a module I eventually hope to use to generate musical
events in realtime. (These events will be sent to MIDI devices or to
software synthesizers.)

I've found that on my Linux system (pretty much stock RedHat 5.2),
scheduling actions with sched.scheduler is not as reliable as I'd
like. Events are anywhere from 2 to 20 milliseconds late. I'd like
to improve the reliability, which brings me to my next question:

Is there any way to run a python script, or rather the python
interpreter itself, with SCHED_FIFO priority on a linux system?
Or any other way to guarantee that something will happen when you
really want it to happen??

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.