Desperate: Linux Sound Module

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Thu Jan 13 16:04:46 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl (gerrit.holl at pobox.com) wrote:
: I'm really desperate: I can't find any module for playing sounds on a
: Linux system! I already searched everywhere: google, python.org, parnassus.
: I just want to play .au or .wav, but even edna can't *play* *play* *PLAY*
: an mp3!

I did this once, let me try to remember how. It wasn't intrinsically
Pythonic, it involved some other thing (sox?) which could be easily
invoked with an os.system() call, and you could pass it command line
arguments such as sampling rate. Here we go, a URL:

	http://surfin.spies.com/Sox/

Nifty-looking things of related interest here:

	http://www.links2go.com/more/www.spies.com/Sox

I get by with a pretty primitive Soundblaster card. Sampled music
sounds just awful, but it plays MIDI ok (different executable:
playmidi, xplaymidi). My interest in this stuff isn't strong enough
to merit pursuing better results.
--
   People say that everyone has a few skeletons in their closet. Not me.
   Well, not yet anyway. I mean, the bodies are still decomposing.