Sucking e-mail from Exchange Server vis HTTP?

Garrett G. Hodgson garry at sage.att.com
Thu Jan 20 09:41:37 EST 2000

Grant Edwards wrote:

> The admin shut off both POP and IMAP to try prevent people from
> using mail clients other than Outlook.  He's convinced
> management that people who don't use Outlook were increasing
> his workload.
>
> IMAP used to be enabled to allow people to check e-mail from
> home using Outlook Express, but once he figured out how to
> enable the web interface, he told people to use that from home
> and then he shut off IMAP (I was using fetchmail and mutt
> at the time).

while i expect you'll learn a lot solving your technical
problem, you should also pay some attention to your political
problem.  an out of control sysadmin doesn't do anyone any good.
you might try and engage your other colleagues, gather some data,
and enlist some management support.  f'rinstance, why is *his*
workload the dominant factor?  have him defend and document what
actual, measured effects there would be to his workload if he
enabled POP and IMAP.  gather info from outlook admins to
challenge his assumptions.

or just get some big guys and go kick his ass.

--
Garry Hodgson			Every night
garry at sage.att.com		a child is born