Reading tar/gz-files

Bernhard Herzog herzog at online.de
Fri Jan 7 05:56:40 EST 2000

Thomas Weholt <thomas at bibsyst.no> writes:
[...]
> work down to a minimum. Ok, so I`m lazy. The reading tar.h-stuff: eh ...
> I`ll skip that. TarIO implements some of the functionality you say, just
> how much is my question. All I want is to get a list of the files in a
> tar.gz/tgz-archive.

I haven't actually used it, I merely remembered having seen in the PIL
sources. AFAICT, it's used to extract files from a tar file, and one
thing it has to do is search the file in the tar-archive. ISTM that it
would be easy to modify the code to produce a list of filenames.

--
Bernhard Herzog   | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog at online.de  | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/