Considering using python for something, and need a bit of info :)

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Mon Jan 3 11:54:59 EST 2000

PartyG2816 at aol.com writes:
<snip>

> the main reason for this post: I wanted to know how suitable Python would be
> to embed into an environment like I mentioned earlier to be used by mainly
> non-programmers to perform scripting goals.

Not very. If you want security, and crash-proofness (see the other thread,
and recent post by Thomas Wouters. I'm too lazy to dig it up).

<snip>
>     Could the Python interpreter be embedded and used in a way that would

embedded. yes.

> allow me to use it like this within my application?  I've downloaded the

used. yes.

> interpreter and gone through parts of the tutorial... I love it. *chuckles*
> I'm a C++ programmer at heart, but I can definately see some advantages to
> using Python for osme things.. I think it would be fairly easy to teach a
> non-programmer how to use it within the context of my application would be
> fairly easy with a person dedicated to helping the nephytes and a few docs.

easy. yes. nice - hell, yes.

>     Another concern of mine is: how secure can it be? IE can i restrict
> certain aspects of it based upon a condition? Say I have a a normal builder,

not easily. some things cannot be restricted at the moment without
custom extensions (memory use, CPU use).

<snip>

> p.s. - If it turns out that yall think Python could be suitable for
> osmething like this, could you include a few linkst o places that discuss
> and give some working examples of embedding python in another application
> and running scripts through it using whatever API is inherent in Python
> for that use? :)

-Markus

--
	We are MicroSoft.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.